Week 7 Recep
Hopefully you thought this week was more manageable than the challenge I originally planned for. Drinking water is important in many ways. We often forget to drink enough, especially at work, because we get caught up doing something.
Week 8 Challenge
For this week’s challenge I wanted to change it up from what I originally had planned. Although doing all of the WODs for the week would be great for you, it might not be feasible for everyone. I have changed it to MEATLESS FOR A DAY.
What does this mean?
The goal of this challenge is to no eat meat AT ALL for 1 day this week, only 1! This challenge stems from ‘Meatless Mondays’ which has been a movement to reduce the amount of meat consumed. This also means no FISH.
Why do this challenge?
I think that challenge will be interesting because I feel like in recent years, there has been a lot of skepticism whether meat is good or bad for you. Studies have shown that consuming less red and processed meat and more plant-based foods such as vegetables, beans, soy, and nuts can offer many potential health benefits:
- Eating less meat and more plant-based foods, such as vegetables, beans, and nuts, can improve heart health and reduce the risk of heart disease
- Skipping even a half serving of meat every day and replacing it with a plant protein like beans or tofu can decrease your risk of getting type 2 diabetes
- Substituting plant-based foods for meat can help you maintain a healthy weight
- Cutting back on red and processed meat and eating more plant-based foods can promote kidney health
- Beans, nuts, soy, and other vegetables can give you all the protein you need in one day
Reducing consumption of meat can help contain production of greenhouse gases that impact climate change. It can also help lessen the demand for precious environmental resources such as land, water, and energy.
- Livestock production creates more greenhouse gases than the entire transportation sector – all the cars, trucks, planes, and trains in the world
- Livestock production uses 75% of the earth’s agricultural land
- Producing ONE quarter-pound beef burger uses 425 gallons of water – enough water to fill 10 bathtubs
- Producing ONE quarter-pound beef burger uses up enough energy to power an iPhone for 6 months
- Skipping one serving of beef every Monday for a year saves the equivalent emissions to driving 348 miles in a car.
How to get Points
To get points for this challenge, find or come up with a creative recipe and post it on social media tagging us!